Limerick Youth Dance is a dance group open to young people aged 15-25. We are seeking people who have a passion for dance, a desire to learn new skills and an interest in choreography and performance to join the group.
Limerick Youth Dance acts as a catalyst bringing young people and professional artists together in a stimulating and lively environment. Based at the Dance Limerick Studio in the centre of Limerick, and co-ordinated and led by Choreographer Angie Smalis, Limerick Youth Dance offers each person experience of working collaboratively to devise and make original dance. From time to time, the group will work with guest choreographers and teachers as well as professional artists in other mediums such as film and the visual arts. Work will be made for stage and screen, and is designed for a range of events and settings.
To join Limerick Youth Dance and any of its projects, it is important you are able to make the commitment. Additional rehearsals will take place at weekends closer to the time of performances.
As a member of Limerick Youth Dance you will
• Work with a professional choreographer
• Learn basic skills in contemporary dance and improvisation techniques
• Develop fitness and exploration of the body
• Develop awareness of space, levels, directions, size and timing
• Enjoy movement and its potential
• Collaborate with other young dance artists
• Create and perform short dance pieces
Members of Dance Limerick can also benefit from the following:
• Contemporary Dance classes at Dance Limerick throughout the year for the reduced price of €6 per class
• Outings to join in work with other companies or to see their work on stage
• Discounted tickets to see dance at Dance Limerick and the Lime Tree Theatre
• Work experience in performance, stage management, costume etc
• Training and career advice is also available.
All fees are payable on deciding to join and are non-refundable following the first audition/taster class.
Audition/taster class is free of charge.
Applying to Limerick Youth Dance
To join you must submit an application form and
1. be between 15 and 25 years old
2. be available for workshops on Wednesdays 6.00 – 8.00 pm in Limerick City
3. be willing to devote time to projects, performances, outings, festivals
4. pass an audition
The current term concludes on 25th June. Limerick Youth Dance returns after the summer on 3rd September.
Come along on Wednesday and try it out
Through a combination of performance platforms, residency opportunities, master classes, talks and lectures, Dance Limerick will advocate for artistic dialogue and exchange. In collaboration with dance artists across a range of practices, Dance Limerick will promote the creation of new and innovative work and will devise programmes of access, engagement and participation for the wider public.
Based at the premises of the former Daghdha Dance Company, Dance Limerick houses offices and a fully equipped studio space along with a separate performance venue known as the Daghda Space
Further information about facilities and opportunities for professional dance artists available from Jenny Traynor at