Professional dance artists and ensembles are invited to submit proposals for projects to be researched and/or developed in 2016 at Dance Limerick Studio, or Dance Limerick Space (St John's Church), depending on the nature of the project. Residencies are open to national and international dance artists in all genres for a period of two weeks.
The Residency aims to provide:
- professional dance artists with space and support for research, experimentation, practice development and/or performance of new work
- the local professional dance community with opportunities for professional development
The selection is competitive and artists will be selected on the basis of who we think can make the best use of the facilities available and who will have a positive impact on the Limerick dance community.
Dance Limerick also has a particular interest in receiving applications from artists who wish to:
a) premiere new work at Dance Limerick at the end of their residency
b) engage the local non-dance community (through talks/ workshops/ performances or in the initiating of new collaborative work with communities of place or interest)
As part of each Residency, we encourage artists to share their work either through a work-in-progress showing or through a talk for their peers.
About Dance Limerick Residencies:
Residencies may be for the following purpose(s)
1: Exploration, research, development and experimentation, or
2: Taking an already developed idea to the next stage, or
3: Rehearsal / production weeks toward premiering new work at Dance Limerick.
Dance Limerick can provide:
- 2 weeks' studio time
- Accommodation provided for up to 4 artists/ collaborators in apartments or artist-friendly houses
- A contribution toward travel costs for up to 4 artists/ collaborators
- Residency listing in our printed and on-line newsletter
- Peer feedback / mentoring if required.
In return, Dance Limerick requests the following:
- That resident artists deliver a company class, at least once each week during residency
- Interaction with the local dance community through sharing of work or a talk about your work
- That you contribute a news item for our website
- That the Dance Limerick logo be included on all future publicity materials relating to the work resulting from your residency
- Your feedback and suggestions for future residency opportunities
Criteria for selection:
Applicants should demonstrate:
- A close fit with the aims of the Residency
- A proven track record in making and presenting dance work
- A focus on new work that will be interesting / relevant within a local context and to local artists
- The ways in which the residency will contribute to the artist’s development and to his/her work
- A financial capacity to undertake the residency on the basis of what Dance Limerick can offer
- Feasibility, particularly within the context of Dance Limerick's budget
Proposals will be assessed by a selection panel on the basis of the above criteria.
Applications should be made on the accompanying application form (click file below) and emailed to:
Closing Date for receipt of applications: Fri 4 Sept 2015
Through a combination of performance platforms, residency opportunities, master classes, talks and lectures, Dance Limerick will advocate for artistic dialogue and exchange. In collaboration with dance artists across a range of practices, Dance Limerick will promote the creation of new and innovative work and will devise programmes of access, engagement and participation for the wider public.
Based at the premises of the former Daghdha Dance Company, Dance Limerick houses offices and a fully equipped studio space along with a separate performance venue known as the Daghda Space
Further information about facilities and opportunities for professional dance artists available from Jenny Traynor at